The 过渡学者计划 at 澳门新葡新京在线 is a student-centered program designed for transition-age students with documented intellectual and/or developmental disability. The program serves students typically between 18-22 years of age, who 是 currently enrolled in their high school transition program or 是 transitioning from high school to post-secondary education having earned their diploma. Transitional Scholars is designed for students who 是 interested in having a college experience with the support of our Educational Coaches and programming. Admitted students take one (1) or two (2) college courses per semester (Fall and Spring) for a maximum of three (3) years. 在参加这个项目的时候, Transitional Scholars have the opportunity to participate in campus activities, 参加俱乐部和组织, and have full access to all 澳门新葡新京在线 supports and services.
“在麻萨诸塞州, higher education opportunities 是 opening up for students with autism and intellectual disabilities.”
“New legislation requires the state’s public colleges to provide accommodations for people whose disabilities have impeded them from earning a standard high school diploma. This means these students can take classes and participate in extracurricular activities as nondegree-seeking students without having to pass a college entrance exam, meet GPA requirements and pass other barriers to admission.”
“Massachusetts Bay Community College 总统 David Podell advocated for the legislation. He has a background in psychology, with a specialty in the 是a of disabilities. And his college has helped people with intellectual disabilities since before he became president.”
- The goal of the program is for the student to gain independence, 学会自我倡导, develop action plans and personal goals and to gain skills to access employment in an 是a of interest.
- Through Person-Centered Planning (PCP), each student develops an action plan to achieve their goals. Person-centered planning is a results-oriented process that engages students in planning for their future and choosing their pathway to success.
- 在学期开始之前, students meet with the program coordinator to establish goals for participating in the program and select their top 5 course choices. Courses 是 matched with individual student goals and course/Ed Coach availability.
- Schedules 是 individualized based on the student’s interests and needs. The program coordinator meets weekly with each student to measure progress and re-evaluate the student’s needs.
- 学生 have access to Educational Coaches for support both in and out of class. 教练帮助学生安排日程, 计划和其他执行能力, 与校内支持和服务机构建立联系, 与教授有效沟通, building study and note-taking skills as well as navigate the campus and encourage socializing.
- Most students take one (1) course per semester and have the option to audit or take the class for credit. 课程示例包括但不限于: Introduction to Mass 媒体; Computers & Technology; C是er & Life Planning; Child Development; Fundamentals of Composition; Critical Thinking; Environmental 科学; Drawing; Oral 沟通; and Introduction to Hospitality.
- 参加过渡学者计划的学生 是 澳门新葡京手机版的学生. 学生 have access to all available supports and services that the college offers, 包括, 但不限于:辅导 & 同伴指导; student clubs & activities; c是er planning & counseling services; recreation & 健身中心课程 & 锻炼.
- Total cost for the comprehensive services offered through Transitional Scholars is $5,每学期400美元，最多4个学分(一节课)，外加7美元,900每学期5至7学分(一至两节课). 这包括教育指导, 学杂费, 教材及资料, 人为本计划, 社会技能 & 生活技能发展，自我宣传培训，辅导 & 同伴指导, and access to all other college activities/opportunities such as classes at the Recreation & 健康中心，咨询服务和俱乐部.
- A $500 non-refundable deposit is due with a signed 澳门新葡新京在线 Program Contract upon acceptance.
- Documentation supporting the student’s intellectual disability (IEP and psychological evaluation).
- Two letters of recommendation from people who have known the applicant for at least 6 months.
- One from an educator (teacher, special education facilitator, guidance counselor, etc.)
- One from an employer/supervisor in an employment or internship setting.
- A 30-minute interview with the 过渡学者计划 selection committee is required for admission. Invitations to interview 是 based on meeting the requirements of the program.
- Appropriate documentation is required for all students seeking accommodations at 澳门新葡新京在线.
- Applications 是 accepted beginning January 1 through April 15 for Fall enrollment.
Kelly Graska, Coordinator of 过渡学者计划